AS the seven-day quit notice given by Governor Abiola Ajimobi to owners of structures on waterways in Ibadan metropolis expires on Wednesday, residents of houses marked for demolition have vowed to resist the planned demolition.
This came as some of the rescuers who helped survivors of the flood disaster that inflicted havoc on Ibadan metropolis are asking for compensation.
Though, some residents at Odo-Ona Elewe claimed that over 200 houses had been marked, the Oyo State Government, through Governor Abiola Ajimobi’s Senior Special Adviser on Public Communication, Dr. Festus Adedayo, said it had not counted the number of houses that would be
The aggrieved residents said they had no other place to go.
One Boluwatife Owolabi who lives at Odo Ona Elewe, said the residents would resist any attempt by the State to demolish their houses.
He said the government was yet to make alternative accommodation for them as they had nowhere to go now if the government made good its threat.
Owolabi, who spoke on behalf of other residents, said she was not sure if the government had determined its cost before taking the decision.
They complained that the notice was too short for them to get another accommodation and pleaded with the government to extend the deadline to them.
It will be recalled that Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Mr. Bosun Oladele had last week said that there was no going back on the deadline given by the governor.
Senator Ajimobi had sternly warned that his administration would not compensate those who deliberately flouted the law that states some reasonable distance should be maintained to the river bank.
Meanwhile, some of the rescuers who helped survivors of the flood disaster that inflicted havoc on Ibadan metropolis recently are asking for compensation.
This came as the Minister of State, Federal Capital Territory; Oloye Jumoke Akinjide explained why President Goodluck Jonathan chose the option of aerial assessment of the destruction caused by the Ibadan flood disaster.
Contrary to insinuations by Ibadan residents that fear of insecurity prompted President Jonathan to assess flood disaster aerially, Akinjide said if the president had chosen to inspect by road, there would be disruption of social and commercial activities in the city.
She spoke during the continuation of the assessment of the affected areas of the city.
One of the divers at Odo-Ona Elewe who claimed to have rescued 22 people from dying in the flood, said he was not happy how his efforts were not appreciated.
The boy simply identified as Jeggy, said some officials of the local government promised them the sum of N200, 000 but were yet to honour their promise.
He claimed that the water level was so high that National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, officials and fire fighters could not risk diving into it; his colleagues and he went ahead and saved the victims.
Oloye Akinjide and officials of NEMA led by its South-West Zonal Coordinator, Mr. Iyiola Akande, visited the Relief Camps at Sacred Heart Primary School Oke-Ayo, Odo-Ona-Elewe area and Abbey Technical College, Ibadan South-West and Oluyole Local Government.