Islamic sect, Boko Haram, yesterday ignored the presence of Joint Task Force deployed to Maiduguri to contain them, went on a fresh killing spree, killing 28 people and injuring several others within 24 hours. On Sunday night, the sect tossed bombs on a crowded beer garden in Maiduguri, Borno State capital killing at least 25 people, and struck again hours after attacking the customs area of Maiduguri where members of the Joint Task Force maintains a secretariat.
The commander of the task force on Boko Haram, Maj. Gen. Jack Okechukwu Nwaogbo, who confirmed the attack which included bomb blasts and gunfire said 3 people were killed while at least two customs officials were wounded
On Sunday night, suspected Boko Haram members riding on motorcycles attacked three different makeshift bars in the city
Witnesses said at least 25 died in the beer parlour attacks, while Nwaogbo declined to offer a casualty information yesterday during a news conference.
According to the commander, “what caused the killings of many people in the attacks were when about 10 gunmen riding seven motorcycles surrounded and took strategic positions at the beer sheds and shops and started firing at the people with their Kalashnikov rifles, before setting ablaze the entire makeshift shacks.”
2 nabbed with explosives in church
While no arrests have been made over the beer parlour attacks, he said police arrested two men carrying explosives at a church in the city. He said they had pretended they wanted to convert from Islam.
A military officer said security had been scaled up in the city following the attack.
“The JTF (Joint Task Force) began operations in Maiduguri yesterday with the deployment of more troops into the city, including 500 navy personnel,” said a senior military officer who asked not to be named as he does not have clearance to speak to journalists.